Forced marriage is a major breach of human rights and is classified as a serious crime in Australia. It is common for victims of forced marriage to experience other forms of abuse, including human trafficking, family violence, domestic servitude, forced labour and sexual assault.
Issues covered in the position paper include:
- Definitions and presentations of forced marriage
- Barriers to disclosure and prosecution
- The role of forced marriage in slavery, human trafficking and abuse
- Expansion of family violence provisions and definitions
- Protection and response strategy and legislation